Dry shampoo or waterless shampoo for dogs cleans dogs’ coats without getting them wet, and soaks up oil and dirt, leaving the coat clean smelling. Dogs that don’t like to get bathed will love this dry shampoo. Tammy Siert, award-winning professional dog groomer and Global Educator for grooming company Andis, tells Dogster that dry and waterless shampoos are a great way for a quick clean up on your pet. However, that doesn’t mean your dog doesn’t ever need a wet bath.
Does dry shampoo work better on some dog coats?
Both dry and waterless dog shampoo can be used on any breed or coat type, says Tammy. She gives this tip: If you have a breed that has a lot of coat, make sure to brush the coat after applying.
How do you use dog dry shampoo?
Dry shampoo is usually powder-based and is great for an area on your pet that may have some oily or greasy skin or hair, explains Tammy. She says to:
- Spray it directly on the area to help absorb any excess oil
- Brush the coat after
How do you use dog waterless shampoo?
Tammy explains that waterless shampoo is usually a liquid or foam and therefore will wet the coat and can be used as a quick solution when your pet comes in with muddy feet or has a dirty butt. This type of shampoo is very easy to use, and you won’t have to worry about wetting the coat prior or rinsing it out of the coat after.
Dog dry and waterless shampoo tips
Dogster asked Tammy for some quick tips on using these products. Here’s what she told us:
- Always read the manufacturer’s directions on how to apply either dry or waterless shampoo. Both are to be used as a quick fix for those times when you’re too busy to give your dog a full bath.
- Each of these types of shampoos will leave a residue in the coat, so when you have time to give the full bath or visit your professional groomer you should.
- Dry shampoo if used too much can clog the pores and hair follicles leaving your dog with unhealthy skin and coat. Water baths are the only way to remove dirt and environmental allergens from your dog’s skin and coat, keeping is healthy and smelling good.
Is human dry shampoo safe for dogs?
Dog dry shampoo is especially made for dogs — don’t use human dry shampoo on your dog as it may have ingredients harmful to your dog. Look for waterless or dry dog shampoos that have natural ingredients.
A few examples of dry or waterless dog shampoo available today are:
- $25.00. Rowan The Dry Shampoo
- $15.95. Pawstruck No-Rinse Dog Shampoo
- $17.36. Lillian Russ Waterless Shampoo
- $5.99. Wahl No-Rinse Waterless Shampoo
- $6.76. Burt’s Bees Waterless Shampoo
- $9.99. TropiClean Waterless Papaya & Coconut Dog & Cat Shampoo
- $29.95. Nuesta Pets Unscented Waterless Spray-On Shampoo
- $29.95. Nuesta Pets Waterless Lavender Spray-On Dog Shampoo
2 thoughts on “What Is Dry or Waterless Shampoo for Dogs?”
I have never tried dry shampoo for my pup. Is this something we can get at target?
Dry shampoo for dogs is a universal shampoo suitable for all coat types. It eliminates unpleasant odors, cleans dog hair, and makes it easier to comb. With this dog shampoo, you can refresh your four-legged friend's fur quickly and without a wet bath.