If 420 Means Something to You, Read This for Your Dog’s Sake

For some folks, April 20th is a day of celebration. If you're one of those people, be sure to keep your dog out of your stash.


Look, we’re not dumb. We’re based in San Francisco — we know what some of you are planning for this Saturday (and it involves a large pizza and a dozen cupcakes all to yourself). Our position on marijuana is hey, if it helps people — and dogs — then we trust you’re adults who can make your own decisions. And open a darn window.

If you plan on partaking, for the love of dog, please keep your stash out of paw’s reach. We’ve got some quick facts on marijuana and what happens if your pooch accidentally eats your pot.

Marijuana is made from the dried leaves and flowers of the plant Cannabis sativa. As a recreational drug, marijuana is more commonly known as “weed,” but as marijuana proponents push for its legalization, marijuana is being used more and more to treat the side effects of chemotherapy, glaucoma, and as an appetite stimulant for AIDS patients. While marijuana is generally safe for human use, it can have toxic effects on animals.

From January 1998 to June 2002, the ASPCA Poison Control Center consulted on more than 250 cases of accidental marijuana ingestion by animals. 96% of those cases involved dogs, 3% were cats, and 1% included other animals.

The most common side effects were depression, an inability to move, and a decreased heart rate. Other signs of ingestion were agitation, vocalization, diarrhea, excessive saliva, irregular heartbeat, lowered body temperature, dilated pupils, urinary incontinence, seizures, and coma.

The most common consumption of marijuana in animals occurs orally, with effects beginning within 30 to 90 minutes following ingestion. Effects may last up to 72 hours.

While it’s critical to seek immediate veterinary assistance if you suspect your dog has eaten marijuana, the prognosis for animals with no secondary complications is favorable. Out of more than 250 cases of accidental marijuana ingestion by animals, only two resulted in death, and in both cases, other factors may have affected their outcomes.

Be safe out there tomorrow, Dogsters!

Source: Above info is via Veterinary Medicine (note: link downloads a PDF file)

Top Photo: Cheerful couple by Shutterstock

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Get Dogster in your inbox!

Stay informed! Get tips and exclusive deals.

Let Dogster answer all of your most baffling canine questions!

Starting at just

This error message is only visible to WordPress admins
There has been a problem with your Instagram Feed.


Follow Us

Shopping Cart