Diamond Pet Foods has announced a voluntary recall of certain packages of its Diamond Naturals Lamb Meal & Rice Formula dog food because of fears the food may contain salmonella. No illnesses have been reported.
According to a press release from the company:
The product was distributed to customers located in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Maryland, Michigan, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina and Virginia, who may have further distributed the product to other states, through pet food channels.
The recall affects only packages of Diamond Naturals Lamb Meal & Rice that fit the following descriptions. No other Diamond products are affected.
- 6-pound packages with the production code DLR0101D3XALW and “Best Before” code of 04 Jan 2013;
- 20-pound packages with the production code DLR0101C31XAG and “Best Before” code of 03 Jan 2013;
- 40-pound packages with the production code DLR0101C31XMF And “Best Before” code of 03 Jan 2013;
- 40-pound packages with the production code DLR0101C31XAG And “Best Before” code of 03 Jan 2013;
- 40-pound packages with the production code DLR0101D32XMS And “Best Before” code of 04 Jan 2013.
Symptoms of Salmonella in Pets: Pets with Salmonella infections may have decreased appetite, fever, and abdominal pain. If left untreated, pets may become lethargic and suffer from diarrhea or bloody diarrhea, fever, and vomiting. Infected but otherwise healthy pets can be carriers and infect other animals or humans. If your pet has consumed the recalled product and displays these symptoms, please contact your veterinarian.
Symptoms of Salmonella in People: Humans handling dry pet food can become infected with Salmonella, especially if they have not thoroughly washed their hands after contact with surfaces exposed to this product. Healthy people infected with Salmonella may exhibit the same symptoms as their pets. Rarely, Salmonella poisoning results in more serious ailments including arterial infections, endocarditis, arthritis, muscle pain, eye irritation, and urinary tract infection. Individuals who have handled this product and exhibit these signs should contact their healthcare provider.
Consumers who have purchased any of the products detailed above should discontinue feeding and discard the remainder. For further information or to obtain a product refund phone the company at 800-442-0402 or visit www.diamondpet.com.