Separation anxiety in dogs is no joke, and it manifests itself in different ways. Roxie, the speckled deaf Labrador mix I dog-sat in Malibu, was fine if she was with her dog companions, but cried and whined and panicked on her own. I remember one notorious drive to the vet where she cried from the back of my station wagon during the entire trip.
And a Pit Bull owned by a friend of mine — whom he sort of impulsively adopted from the shelter one day when he was feeling particularly lonely — tore up the blinds, the bedroom door, and much of the carpet in an anxious frenzy. (Don’t worry, my friend has worked extensively with Bella, and she’s doing great now.)
But what do you do when your dog’s separation anxiety drives him to jump out of a three-story window?
That’s exactly the scene Dogster Editor-in-Chief Janine Kahn arrived to after leaving her dog, Moxie, at Community Manager Lori Malm’s home while the two went out for lunch.
A crowd had gathered on the sidewalk, trying to figure out what to do with the dog, who had sustained severe injuries but was, miraculously, still alive. Janine and Lori sprung into action, rushing the dog to the vet.
It’s been a pretty traumatic incident, and Moxie is on mandatory bed rest for a few months, but he’s expected to make a full recovery. Not bad for a dog who failed to fly! (But that’s not justification to try to do it again!)
All photos via Moxie’s Facebook page — check it out to keep up to date on his progress!
Read more about Janine Kahn’s life with Moxie:
- Responsible Dog Breeders Are Rare, But I Found One and So Can You
- Single Dog Parents, I Salute You
- It’s Cheesy as Hell, But This Year I am Extra Thankful for My Dog
- Don’t Let His Humiliation Be in Vain: Vote for Moxie in Animal Planet’s Costume Contest
- Doghouse Confessional: Why Yes, I Do Sleep with My Dog
- The Odd But Hopefully Endearing Things I Do Because I Have a Dog
- Should We Stay Together for the Dog?
- 8 Reasons I’m Madly in Love With My Dog (But Not in a Creepy Way)
- Pics or It Didn’t Happen: The Making of Dogster Editor Janine Kahn’s Greyhound Tattoo
Read more about rescue on Dogster:
- The Story of Bulletproof Sam, a Victim of Dog Fighting
- Leo the Puppy Mill Rescue Boxer Always Has His Mouth Full
- Rescuing Dogs from Overseas: Three Arguments for and Against
About Liz Acosta: Dogster’s former Cuteness Correspondent, Liz still manages the site’s daily “Awws,” only now she also wrangles Dogster’s social media. That’s why she wants you to follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and — her personal favorite — Instagram. See ya there!